Vivien Lloyd, the country's leading authority on preserves, has released First Preserves: Marmalades as an iBook®, featuring recipes that can be made throughout the year. It combines the interactive nature of the iPad® with elements of Vivien's acclaimed first book, also entitled First Preserves.
This multi-touch iBook offers detailed explanations of each stage of the preserving process, from the preparation to how to fill and seal the jars, with galleries of informative colour photographs and embedded video demonstrations from Vivien.
A helpful "Define, Highlight, Note and Search" facility allows the reader to obtain definitions, explore further information online and set up a personal notebook to record all their thoughts during the preserving process, and all the equipment needed for successful marmalade-making is described, with direct links to suppliers' websites.
First Preserves: Marmalades also features the original book's popular chapter on competitions, utilising Vivien's extensive judging experience by providing anyone planning to enter a preserves competition with that crucial edge. Vivien offers advice on preparing for the competition, divulges the key elements that judges are looking for and reveals the common faults in unsuccessful entries.
All the recipes in the book advocate Vivien's strong belief that preserve-making is a simple science. She says: 'Follow a few straightforward rules and you have an inexpensive and rewarding activity you can enjoy over and over.'
With First Preserves: Marmalades, Vivien aims to bring the tradition of marmalade-making to a new audience, informing and inspiring beginners and enthusiasts alike to get into the kitchen to make the popular preserve, and to perhaps even experience the excitement of entering a competition.
- Vivien Lloyd has 25 years' worth of experience of making and demonstrating award-winning preserves
- Vivien won 'Best of the Best' at the 2008 World's Original Marmalade Festival
- First Preserves: Marmalade is available to download from the Apple iBookstore in 32 countries, priced £5.49 http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/first-preserves-marmalades/id513881112?mt=11
- First Preserves, the original book, covering jams and chutneys as well as marmalades is on sale now, priced at £14.99 and available from amazon and www.vivienlloydpreserves.com
- Twitter: @Vivienlloyd and Facebook.